The technology and processes used to accomplish excavation at construction and job sites is constantly evolving, and today one of the more popular methods of excavation is hydro excavation.
But what is hydro excavating, and what are its benefits to our customers in Bay City, MI? Here’s a quick overview of everything you should know.
Hydro excavation versus standard excavation
Hydro excavation involves the use of highly pressurized water combined with an air vacuum. The water clears a path through the soil, and the air vacuum sucks up all the debris and easily removes it from the site. These processes happen essentially simultaneously, and all of the debris removed goes into a nearby waste tank.
Here are just a few of the primary benefits associated with the process of hydro excavation versus standard excavation processes:
- Less labor intensive: Regular excavation techniques generally involve the use of shovels, backhoes and other digging equipment. While these tools can certainly be effective in some situations, they are not nearly as precise, and are much more labor intensive. Hydro excavation does not require nearly the amount of manual work as you’d see in many standard excavation processes. There is no need for backfilling after the work is complete, and there is significantly less strain placed on laborers.
- Less time consuming: Hydro excavation is quick and efficient. The powerful water jets easily cut through the ground, especially in areas where the soil is loose or shifting. Manual digging is extremely time consuming, and even the use of standard digging equipment can take significantly longer than what you can expect from the hydro excavation process.
- Greater safety: Large machinery like backhoes and other diggers can result in some potential safety risks to workers at a job site. However, hydro excavating in Bay City, MI is an extremely safe method of soil removal, so you do not have to worry nearly as much about the potential dangers at your job site.
- Environmentally friendly: Hydro excavation is widely known for being an eco-friendly option. Standard excavation equipment will result in the creation of more carbon dioxide and will consume much more fuel. Hydro excavation’s waste is also a slurry of water and earth, and the use of water as a cutting agent is both sustainable and effective.
- Precision: Hydro excavating is a much better option than standard excavation processes if you’re looking for an extremely precise method. This is why it’s frequently used for utilities, electrical installation, telecommunication, subsurface engineering, oil and gas projects and other such applications, all of which require subsurface work with minimal surface disruption. Standard excavation processes can result in a significant degree of disruption at the surface and the need for much larger holes, which makes them less than optimal for certain applications.
Interested in learning more about the benefits of hydro excavating in Bay City, MI and what the process entails? We encourage you to contact Thornton Brothers Sewer Service with any questions you have about our services, and we will be happy to answer them!
Categorised in: Hydro Excavation