If you’re one of the many Americans who relies on a home septic system to process your waste water, you’re probably familiar with the fact that seasonal fluctuations in temperature and weather conditions can cause your system to behave differently.
During the summertime, elevated temperatures may exacerbate existing imbalances in your septic system, and increased water usage might cause problems in your drain field. It’s important to be proactive about septic maintenance during the summer months so that you don’t end up with a smelly and potentially hazardous mess on your hands. Failure to properly care for your septic system could significantly impact your ability to host guests, use your water fixtures and more.
Working with a septic tank cleaning company in Bay City, MI is the best way to ensure that your septic system is ready to take whatever the season throws its way.
Here are a just a few things that you can do during the summer months to ensure that your septic tank is ready to handle the heat:
- Reduce water usage: During the summertime, you’re probably using a lot of extra water. This is because you have guests visiting your home who are showering, using the sinks and flushing the toilet. You’re probably using the shower yourself more frequently in the summer, as well. This extra water usage can put serious strain on your home’s septic system.
- Flush your tank: Early on in the summer season, you should make a point of hiring a septic tank cleaning company in Bay City, MI to come and clean your home’s septic tank. This will help avoid any buildups or blockages that may occur during the summer season.
- Don’t pour garbage down the drain: Waste water and toilet paper are the only things that should be going down your toilets and drains. Feminine hygiene products, cigarette butts, condoms and other items should never be flushed down the toilet, because they’ll cause serious problems in your septic system over time.
- Avoid standing water on the yard: Be careful when you water your yard in the summer time. Overwatering your lawn may result in standing water, which could eventually run down into your drain field. This might reduce your drain field’s ability to process effluent and runoff over time.
- Landscape your drain field: There’s likely a lot of rain that occurs in the summertime, as well, which can put a lot of strain on your drain field. You should make a point of landscaping your drain field with grass and plants that are capable of withstanding lots of excessive moisture.
Since 1972, Thornton Brothers Sewer Service has been a premier septic tank cleaning company in Bay City, MI. We’re proud to provide our clients with high-quality septic tank maintenance and cleaning services. To learn more about the ways we can help you maintain your home’s wastewater disposal system, reach out to one of our friendly, knowledgeable representatives. We’ll be happy to provide you with a workable, high-quality septic care solution that meets your specific needs as a homeowner.
Categorised in: Septic Tank Cleaning Company